What is 3x3?
- Just like is played on the playground, 3x3 basketball features teams of three playing on a regulation half-court.
- It means more touches for all players, which gives players the chance to develop their skills in a competitive setting
- The pace is fast! There is no stopping in 3x3 basketball, all players will need to be able to play defense and offense.
- The rules are the same as regulation 5x5 basketball. Fouls and Violations remain the same, however, the game rules are adjusted to better suit a faster pace of play
- It is one of the newest Olympic sports - It made its debut in the 2021 Toyko Olympics!
How are we running this?
- We are playing 3 "showcase" sessions. Rather than having a league where players have to commit to multiple weeknights, all games will be played over three Fridays, which lessens the burden on families.
- The showcase dates will be April 14th, April 28th, and May 12th. Times will run from 4:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- All games will be hosted at PCI due to its central location
- We will be using official referees, who will manage the game.
- There is no cost for participants - we are lucky enough to receive grant money from the Portage la Prairie School Division, as well as Sport Manitoba.
- PCI Varsity Basketball players will be at all games to help give guidance to the players.
How is this going to work?
- Players will make a team of their own choosing with 4 or 5 players. Teams can be made up of players from the same school or different schools.
- Girls and Boys will be on separate teams, but both will play at PCI.
- Players will receive a reversible jersey at their first game. The players need to wear this reversible jersey for all games. It is theirs to keep at the end of the season.
- Games will be first to 21 points, or 20 minutes running time - whichever comes first.
- There will be mandatory subs every 4 minutes. Referees will monitor this
- There will be no coaches during the game, the players are encouraged to learn through playing.
- Games will start every half-hour. Our hope is that each team can play 3-4 games each Friday night.
- On April 14th, we will have a short orientation session for the players that outlines the benefits of positive mental health, the rules of 3x3, and how to play the game.
What are the rules?
- You can find more information below. There is the official rules sheet on this webpage, as well as helpful videos made by FIBA that will explain the game to you.
- We will make modifications to the game as needed, such as no shot clock, different game time, etc. The referees will help explain these rules.
If you have any questions, please contact Darin Arnold at 204-857-6843 x2523 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use this link to register: https://bit.ly/plap3x3